[e2e] pre-BOF discussion: "ABR to the Internet"

Michael Welzl michael at tk.uni-linz.ac.at
Thu Jun 28 08:25:35 PDT 2001

Hello everyone,

I would like to start a discussion to gauge interest in possibly having
a BOF (note that nothing has been decided yet - but starting with
a mailing list and a web site seems to be a good idea) at the London IETF
meeting.

The topic is "ABR to the Internet" - in fact, it's "ABR Explicit Rate
Feedback related mechanisms for the Internet". To quote from the web site:

The goal: A generic approach to ...
- identify relevant information
- propose a new protocol and/or changes to existing protocols
- propose ways to use specific information (endpoint behaviour)
  to achieve a certain QoS gain
Don't think of it as strictly ABR-like (requiring per flow state).
Think of it as ECN with a finer granularity.

Let us see if we can find enough common ground to justify a BOF request.
To join the discussion, subscribe to the mailing list at:
http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/abr-internet/
You will find about anything you need at this web site.

Kind regards,
Michael Welzl
Dipl.-Ing. Michael Welzl     Researcher
Telecooperation Group        Dpt. of Computer Science
University of Linz           Altenberger Str. 69, A-4040 Linz, Austria
Phone: +43/732/2468-9264     Fax: +43/732/2468-9829
ICQ # 38201212               http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/