[e2e] TCP Framing

Ramesh Shankar RShankar at Novell.COM
Mon Mar 26 08:04:44 PST 2001

The fairness issue is an interesting angle and seems relevant only when
bandwidth is really limited or from an ISP perspective (perhaps). This
angle is similar to the "fair share scheduling" approach used in time
sharing UNIX systems. This issue has been discussed in the following
Ph.D. thesis:

V. N. Padmanabhan
Ph.D. Dissertation
Computer Science Division, University of California at Berkeley, USA
September 1998
(Also published as Technical Report UCB/CSD-98-1016.)

http://www.research.microsoft.com/~padmanab/phd-thesis.html

I am not a researcher to be able to make authoritative statements, but I
felt that just like the FSS concept is no longer relevant in todays
systems, the fairness issue is perhaps not so relevant. I have been
curious to understand this issue and perhaps someone can throw some
light on this.

Thanks,

S.R.