[e2e] TCP Framing

Damon Wischik djw1005 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 24 16:22:19 PST 2001

Phillip Conrad wrote:
> David P. Reed wrote:
> >Why not use multiple TCP connections
>
> Two reasons: (1) fairness (2) slow start/congestion avoidance.
> Fairness: If I use "n" TCP connections for a single flow because I have
> three logical streams that I want to be processed out-of-order with
> respect to one another, then I am getting "n" times greater a share of
> the bandwidth on congested links that I should reasonably be entitled
> to.

This begs the question: what are you reasonably entitled to?

If you have three logically separate streams which can be processed
out-of-order, I would have thought there is a case to be made that those
are three essentially independent streams (which just happen to be between
the same end-nodes), and so together they deserve three times the
bandwidth of a single stream.

Damon Wischik.