[e2e] Mystery

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue May 1 10:11:56 PDT 2001

At 11:30 AM 5/1/01 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>You need a tunnel endpoint inside your firewall, and you need to
>figure out what numbers to assign to what networks. All this is
>completely straightforward.

Straightforward, sort of.  A major commercial barrier to network devices -
yes, also.
E.g. I already have a cable modem, and NAT box, and now have to buy a v6
tunneling router in order to install my first $99 network device (non-PC) -
say a "remote baby camera".  And what happens if I happen to accidentally
install two of the v6 tunneling routers - about as user friendly as dueling
DHCP servers on the same LAN.

And what do you end up with?  What is the "static" IPv6 address that you
can use to find that device from out in the net when you want to connect to
it?  Does the v6 tunneling router keep a PPPoET connection live?

Sometimes I think IPv6 needs a product manager that thinks about the user's
needs for ease of use, rather then a bunch of protocol designers who ignore
such things.  Otherwise IPv6 rollout is never gonna happen.

- David