[e2e] Mystery

Perry E. Metzger perry at wasabisystems.com
Tue May 1 10:37:05 PDT 2001

"David P. Reed" <dpreed at reed.com> writes:
> At 11:30 AM 5/1/01 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >You need a tunnel endpoint inside your firewall, and you need to
> >figure out what numbers to assign to what networks. All this is
> >completely straightforward.
>
> Straightforward, sort of.  A major commercial barrier to network devices -
> yes, also.

Not really.

> E.g. I already have a cable modem, and NAT box, and now have to buy a v6
> tunneling router in order to install my first $99 network device (non-PC) -
> say a "remote baby camera".  And what happens if I happen to accidentally
> install two of the v6 tunneling routers - about as user friendly as dueling
> DHCP servers on the same LAN.

What you are saying makes no sense in context. How would you have
"dueling" tunneling routers by accident given the sorts of
configuration needed on such a thing?

> And what do you end up with?  What is the "static" IPv6 address that you
> can use to find that device from out in the net when you want to connect to
> it?  Does the v6 tunneling router keep a PPPoET connection live?

The answers to these questions are pretty obvious to anyone familiar
with the protocols in question. Even not understanding anything about
v6 you would know the answer to your PPPoE question.

> Sometimes I think IPv6 needs a product manager that thinks about the user's
> needs for ease of use, rather then a bunch of protocol designers who ignore
> such things.

Have you actually been paying attention to what sort of work the v6
community has been doing? Have you read the documents? Have you tried
using v6?

> Otherwise IPv6 rollout is never gonna happen.

I'm typing to you right now over an IPv6 connection. Almost all my day
to day connectivity is IPv6 based. 18 months ago I hadn't even done a
"ping" over v6. Things have gotten quite usable.

Every day, there are more v6 users. The main barriers right now are
availability in more hardware and having more apps understand v6
natively. We could also use rollout of v6 native transport DNS servers
at the roots and some other details.

Perry