[e2e] congestion correlation?

Andrew Odlyzko amo at research.att.com
Sat May 5 19:04:16 PDT 2001

As Vern Paxson noted already, he has collected extensive evidence
that corrections are weak, if they exist at all.  This should not
be too surprising, since, among other things, "hot potato routing"
means that packets often traverse almost disjoint paths.  Futher,
even when they do travel over the same path, there is often
substantial asymmetry in the traffic load in the two directions.  This
is true even within the US. but very noticeable on trans-Atlantic
and trans-Pacific connections.  As an example, if you look at the
data for JANET, the British academic and research network (available
at <http://bill.ja.net/>) you will find the following ratio for
(traffic from the US to Britain) / (Britain to US traffic):

 month         ratio
--------        ----
March 97        1.26
March 98        1.98
March 99        2.05
March 00        3.27
March 01        2.70

(An increase in this ratio also held true for some other links in
the late 1990s, and I am watching with interest whether it will
reverse course and shrink, as the ratio for JANET may be doing.)

Capacities are generally completely symmetric.  This is true
throughout the telecom world (except for newer technologies
at the edges, like DSL, cable modems, and satellite data), a
legacy of the voice telephony world.  (Frame Relay offers
customers the option of asking for asymmetric PVCs, but this
is just how the capacity is sold, as the Frame links themselves
are symmetric.)  In my Globecom '99 paper I used this as an
argument against QoS:  Basically the reasoning was that with
far less effort than is going into developing and deploying
QoS, one could develop a transport infrastructure that would
take advantage of the asymmetries in traffic patterns, which
tend to persist for extended periods of time, and that this
would provide at least as much of a gain in performance.

Andrew Odlyzko