[e2e] where end-to-end ends

Jon Crowcroft J.Crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 22 11:03:08 PDT 2001

the ipnrg draft is a product of the First Foundation

Members of the Second Foundation will tell you (if you can find them -
hint, check on Trantor) that the true ends are the same old ends - the ends
here are the mission controller programming the robot task, the robot
actions, and the responses are the feedback from the output of the
robot taks - just coz there is some bufferening, header compression,
and hop-by-hop retransmission doesnt stop this being end-to-end - it
just stops it from being realtime control - you do not need to go off
planet to go too far for realtime control...try playing jazz or
classical music over a 2000km network path and then improvise a
rallentando.

In message <Pine.GSO.4.21.0105221841340.20989-100000 at radha.it.uu.se>, Christian
 Tschudin typed:

 >>A new Internet-Draft on the "Interplanetary Internet" was recently
 >>published in which the authors (Cerf et al) predict where the end of
 >>end-to-end is:
 >>
 >>  "We have concluded that the standard Internet protocols should be
 >>   essentially "terminated" at the Interplanetary Gateways [...]"
 >>
 >>and not surprisingly they opt for an active networking approach ;-)
 >>
 >>  "But because of the enormous round-trip delays, such systems must work
 >>   very indirectly. For example, to steer the Mars Pathfinder rover, one
 >>   sends instructions about intermediate points that the robot must steer
 >>   past."
 >>
 >>Just some synectic readings.
 >>christian.
 >>
 >>Ref:
 >>  draft-irtf-ipnrg-arch-00.txt (May 2001)
 >>
 >>---
 >>Christian Tschudin, Department of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Box 325
 >>S-75105 Uppsala, Sweden. <tschudin at docs.uu.se>, http://www.docs.uu.se/~tschudin

 cheers

   jon