[e2e] 150ms - tolerable latency for quakeIII

Jim Gettys jg at pa.dec.com
Wed May 23 16:44:17 PDT 2001

Be aware that "serious" gamers always buy the very fastest computers and/or
graphics cards available for their games, as it provides just a bit lower
latency for them relative to their latency, so they pay alot for even
a very few milliseconds.  Those few milliseconds are the difference
between "life" and "death" to them.

The actual latency where you can't percieve it isn't "real time" is down
in the 30ms range, where of course the speed of light on great circle
routes in glass is in fact a major issue.

I didn't have an appreciation for this effect until I had lunch
with a former colleague who worked for 3dfx, who opened my eyes about the
demanding requirements of this interesting market...
			- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development