[e2e] 150ms - tolerable latency for quakeIII

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Thu May 24 05:51:16 PDT 2001

In message <200105232344.f4NNiHJ477194 at pachyderm.pa.dec.com>, Jim Gettys writes
:

>The actual latency where you can't percieve it isn't "real time" is down
>in the 30ms range, where of course the speed of light on great circle
>routes in glass is in fact a major issue.

Interesting.  That number sounds a touch too low to me.  My recollections
from when I tried to collect data in this area is that people can't react
quite that fast (30 ms).  What I do recall is that there are studies
that suggest that as people become very talented at high intensity
interactive activities (jet fighter pilots being well studied) that
they anticipate, and that combined with the fast reflexes of being
(a) young and (b) high on adrenaline they start to get close to these
numbers.

Grenville's number of 150ms matches exactly the one way delay values from
Bell Labs in the late 1960s (studying interactive voice delay).

Craig