[e2e] Timeout or dupacks?

Tamas Elteto Tamas.Elteto at eth.ericsson.se
Wed May 30 02:05:18 PDT 2001

Hi,

 Recent observations have found that, in many cases, retransmission due to
timeout is a more frequent event - or at least as frequent - during a
TCP transfer than retransmission due to dupacks. For example, a well known
paper - "Modelling TCP Throughput: A Simple Model and its Empirical
Validation" - shows measurements supporting this. However, I have
different experience though I have not performed detailed studies yet.

 My question is the following: Does anybody know about studies that
investigate the typical packet loss probabilities and proportion of
timeouts and dupacks in the today's Internet?

Regards,
Tamas