[e2e] Timeout or dupacks?

Peter Rabinovitch peter.rabinovitch at alcatel.com
Wed May 30 04:48:36 PDT 2001

See the graph on page 14 of I.Kaj, J. Olsén, "Throughput modeling and
simulation for
single connection TCP-Tahoe", Full Paper, 17th International Teletraffic
Congress ITC'01, Salvador da Bahia, Brazil, September 24-28, 2001.
Available at http://www.math.uu.se/~ikaj/papers.html

It is a graph of (their model & simulation if I remember correctly)
overall probability of loss vs. probability that the loss was due to
timeout. As I recall, in conditions where there are less than 2% drops
for any reason, 90% of the drops are indicated by TD (triple duplicate
ACKs) and only 10% by TO (timeouts).