[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

Bob Hinden hinden at IPRG.nokia.com
Wed Oct 10 11:47:57 PDT 2001

Joe,

>As Ran observed on the TSVWG mailing list, IPv6 lacks broadcast, one could
>argue for reasons related to this. However, replacing the well-known term
>broadcast with the magical 'anycast' doesn't replace the need.

IPv6 anycast does not replace broadcast.  Anycast is the delivery of a
packet to one of a set of destinations.  IPv6 uses multicast instead of
broadcast.  See RFC2373.  Also I never though of anycast as "magical"....

>The LAN is an important component of the current architecture, and
>differentiates between local and nonlocal for the use of broadcast to
>avoid centralization of MAC address registration, and the alternative of
>explicit dispersed registration.

I don't think it is correct to assume that "local" means a LAN.  It could
just as well be wireless, point-to-point, NBMA, etc.  They all have
different properties, none of which can be deduced by determining locality.

Bob