[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Fri Oct 12 12:33:03 PDT 2001

In message <20011012090021.B28377 at ted.isi.edu>, Ted Faber writes:

>still wouldn't catch it.  Granted, skipping the checksum on the local
>link is an additional error source, but I suspect it's less of one than
>a disk nearing its MTBF.

If my memory is right, while doing the data collection for our
SIGCOMM paper and Jonathan Stone's dissertation, we saw some systems
corrupt on the order of 1 packet in 100 (bad network adapters, so the
data was corrupted by the sending host's adapter after the TCP checksum
was computed but before the CRC was computed).  I think that kind of
error rates beats most disks nearing the end of their lifetime...

Craig