[e2e] disintermediation?

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Sat Oct 13 13:05:40 PDT 2001

At 10:22 AM 10/13/2001, Bob Hinden wrote:
>NAT modifies more than the the IP header.  In many cases the port numbers
>and checksums in the transport protocol is changed.  In other cases (e.g.,
>FTP) the contents of transport payload is also changed.  This change may
>result in changing the amount of data in the payload requiring the TCP
>sequence numbers to also be modified.

I should think "publishing" would refer to the data the user interacts
with, not the plumbing that moves it around. It might apply, for example,
to Lynne's ISP that identifies advertisements in HTTP payload and replaces
them with other advertisements, but not to a QoS box that changes TCP
window advertisements to pace TCP transmissions, or a NAT which twiddles
the IP header. FTP control that changes the numbers with a view to offering
exactly the requested service, but does not change the content being passed
around, is being a stateful gateway to move the content, not a publisher of
that content.