[e2e] disintermediation?

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Sat Oct 13 14:21:08 PDT 2001

At 07:11 AM 10/13/2001, Micah Beck wrote:
>I am looking for a word to describe the principle that an ISP is not
>responsible for the data that flows across its network as long as it does
>not make any non-technical decisions regarding the handling of that data.

We're not helping you very much with your initial question.

Any decision that an ISP makes about my traffic is going to be technical in
at least its application. ISPs inspect and change traffic in any number of
ways: they

  - decrement the TTL in an IP header,
  - add control lines to SMTP mailgrams,
  - interpret mailing list names into long lists of more specific email names,
  - apply ingress filter policies of various kinds
         "you may not spoof source addresses",
         "you may not encrypt your data using IPSEC",
         "you may not use IP Loose Source Routes"...

These are all technical policies; they may or may not have a technical
motivation. Decrementing an IP TTL, for example, implements a policy
decision to correctly implement IP forwarding. Reverse Path Forwarding
Checks are a defensive measure that I wish was more common, to deal with
address spoofing. Keeping IPSEC VPNs off its network is a business policy
of a certain cable ISP; if you're doing that, they want you to purchase
service from a different business unit of theirs.

Lynne's CheapISP, which inserts its own advertisements in passing traffic,
is also applying a policy. It may be illegal in some jurisdictions. Legal
or not, it raises a list of questions about whether a user of that service
can be assured that it is in fact getting the content s/he requested. I
have long thought that the simplest way to build the Great Firewall of
China would be to offer a service proxy that translates email and web pages
between English and Chinese...

So I would argue that an ISP is responsible for the policies it contracts,
policies it enforces, and the technical implementation of those policies,
and not responsible for policies that it neither contracts nor enforces
(except to the extent that someone determines that it should have, which is
another question). At the end of the day, I think that's what you were
trying to say, was it not?

I'm not enough of a lawyer to know what word has that meaning. I should
expect, however, that there is one, as the concept that "one is responsible
for what one agrees to" is fundamental to contract law. Maybe one of the
lawyers on the list can tell us what that word is.