[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Oct 15 12:47:05 PDT 2001

At 09:19 AM 10/15/2001 -0500, John Kristoff wrote:
> > developers do this for a reason: they are generally frustrated
> > that TCP does not take full advantage of the capacity of a high
> > speed network, especially in the case of short connections. Make
> > no mistake, the pressure is going to increase with applications
> > such as ISCSI and gigabit networks.
>
>Perhaps developers should be encouraged to use another protocol in place
>of TCP, one that is TCP-friendly, rather than disable such a core
>function of TCP based on their own limited vision of the network?

Perhaps a sarcastic remark is in order.  My hard drive has a 100 MHz bus,
but I am incredibly, sadly, ragefully, personally disappointed that my
applications don't get "full use" of it.   I don't know why all Mac, Sun,
PC users don't rise up and demand their money back! I suppose I should get
really upset and start a class action suit against all the software and
hardware vendors involved...

Seriously, taking seriously the idea that ANY bus or link should be "fully
utilized" calls for direct application of the clue-by-4.  Does anyone
really think that because a car can go zero-to-60 in 7 seconds that that is
what should happen at every light-change?  Or that cars should always
corner at the maximum G-force offered by their suspension and tires?

The point of high capacity local buses and networks is to create unused
capacity to reduce latency, queueing, and congestion overhead.

>John

- David