[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 18 00:28:45 PDT 2001

At 10:10 AM 10/10/2001, Bob Hinden wrote:
>I agree.  I also think "local" here may be implied to be an environment
>where there are few errors and high bandwidth (e.g., a LAN).  "Local" may
>instead be some sort of wireless technology where congestion avoidance and
>control mechanisms will be important.

Indeed.  Of the many postings on this thread, Bob H's strikes me as
pointing up the most salient point:

         Do not use simple rules for turning off a TCP mechanism.

(For most situations, that reduces to the simple rule:  do not turn off TCP
mechanisms.)

It was frankly a bad idea to play local/distant games 20 years ago and
things have only gotten worse.

d/