[e2e] ISN regeneration when Stateless SYN cookies are used

Michael B Greenwald mbgreen at dsl.cis.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 18 06:13:58 PDT 2001

   Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:34:10 +0530
   "gangadharan annapurna" <nallu17 at hotmail.com>

   I had a question about the Stateless SYN
   cookie approach to solve the Denial of Service attack.
   The linux kernel has implemented this for quite some
   time now. ...

   In the meantime the client gets the OLD SYN and it accepts
   it and the connection goes to established state. A  TCB is
   created.

   Now when the new SYN+ACK arrives and if the new ISN falls
   within the Receive window of the client, then the packet
   is wrongly accepted.  How  do we handle this issue ?

The packet is not accepted.  If you get a SYN while in established state
then you are supposed to send a reset.  At least, that's how TCP used to
work.