[e2e] What's the benefit of out-of-order processing?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Sep 17 13:37:59 PDT 2001

I suspect some SCTP folks will have better answers, but here's a
small perspective.

About 14 years ago I did a little bit of study with RDP (RFC 908).
RDP supported out-of-order delivery of segments.

You could get some performance leverage by delivering segments as they
arrived to applications that knew where to put the segments in their
memory or disk (so, for instance, file transfer went a bit faster because
the receiving system was almost always saving data to the file -- it didn't
get the feast/famine mode that TCP gives you when a segment gets dropped).

Craig

In message <200109171954.MAA30066 at Pescadero.DSG.Stanford.EDU>, Sam Liang writes
: