[e2e] What's the benefit of out-of-order processing?

Sam Liang sliang at DSG.Stanford.EDU
Mon Sep 17 22:29:29 PDT 2001

> Congestion control is useful, but it is not an "application benefit" (at
> least directly).  Out of order delivery has *nothing* to do with whether
> congestion control signals are sent, or how their coding (as ACKs or
> whatever) reflects their meaning.

  I certainly was not saying out-of-order delivery had anything directly
to do with congestion control signals.  Because Amr was suggesting a way to
transfer a large file that didn't send any ACKs until the end, I was
asking if no intermediate ACKs were sent back, how did the sender detect any
congestion condition.  Of course if you want, you can invent other ways to
report congestion condition.  But it won't be trivial.

Sam