[e2e] traffic dispersion and blocking probality

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Apr 1 12:50:17 PST 2002

At 01:32 PM 4/1/2002 -0500, Naidu, Venkata wrote:

>   Almost all of
>   the datalink/physical layers are connection oriented
>   in that sense and there do exists some loss probability
>   as time varying function.

I realize that this is really just an April Fool's Day discussion....  but
in the spirit of the day, I'll take it seriously.

Yeah, we really want to reintroduce all that circuit-switched stuff because
it was so important to Internet applications like the WWW, email, IM, etc.

I'm being blunt because somebody has to.

Just because the old telephony textbooks are still in print doesn't mean
that the idea of formulating communications as circuits with long hold
times and stable data rates was useful.

All distributions driven by applications are either Poisson or Gaussian, too.