[e2e] EC++N

Lars Eggert larse at ISI.EDU
Tue Apr 2 09:48:34 PST 2002

David P. Reed wrote:
> At 11:21 AM 4/2/2002 +0100, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
>
>> ok - here is a practical proposal
>>
>> called ECN++ (or whatever)
>
> I like some of this, but it's way too complicated in a way that doesn't
> seem likely to scale well.
>
> The key elements - capturing a "early congestion event" early at the
> bottleneck, and then delivering it back to a "congestion manager" -
> seems to make sense.
>
> But here's an alternative model.   Build a "congestion sampler" overlay
> network.

Some general questions that I had when reading this thread:

(1) How static is congestion? Seconds, minutes, days? How long would
such a mechanism take to stabilize?

(2) Does this change the Internet from a cooperative model (every node
pitches in so that all nodes can talk) to a competitive one (whatever I
can do as a node to make my packets go through faster is good)?

(3) How about IP routing, where ECN marks instead of losses drive route
computation?

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse at isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute