[e2e] EC++N

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Tue Apr 2 22:35:32 PST 2002

Hi all,

> David P. Reed wrote:
> > At 11:21 AM 4/2/2002 +0100, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> >
> >> ok - here is a practical proposal
> >>
> >> called ECN++ (or whatever)
> >
> > I like some of this, but it's way too complicated in a way that doesn't
> > seem likely to scale well.
> >
> > The key elements - capturing a "early congestion event" early at the
> > bottleneck, and then delivering it back to a "congestion manager" -
> > seems to make sense.
> >
> > But here's an alternative model.   Build a "congestion sampler" overlay
> > network.

I like that idea a lot!

> Some general questions that I had when reading this thread:
>
> (1) How static is congestion? Seconds, minutes, days? How long would
> such a mechanism take to stabilize?

That's a difficult one. Internet bandwidth is self similar; therefore,
I would assume that based on measurements during no matter which
interval, it should be possible to give feasible feedback for a
specific (the same?) interval.

In other words, I guess that a 5 minute's average bandwidth would
yield the most sensible estimate for an application which is interested
in the average bandwidth during the next 5 minutes. But that's just
a guess.

Cheers,
Michael