[e2e] [Fwd: ECN & PMTU]

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Tue Apr 9 01:15:35 PDT 2002

Hi,

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 08:00, Neil Spring wrote:
> Arun,
>
> the congenstion control analogue to fragmentation required is
> called source quench.  these emails describe why it is not
> useful for congestion control.

I agree that Source Quench is not a good idea in general.
But, to quote from:

> ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/email/sf.97nov20.txt

"I would agree that there are special cases, mainly high-bandwidth flows
over very-long-delay satellite links, where there might be significant
benefit to shortening the feedback loop (as would be done with Source
Quench)."

I agree to that as well. Therefore, I wouldn't say it is "not useful".
It's just not the best congestion notification in the "normal case".

Here's a proposal:

At first, I misread the original posting and thought that Arun
considered using the Congestion Experienced bit in an IP packet
which carries an ICMP "MTU Exceeded" message. Apparently, that's
not what he meant - but why couldn't we do this?

If PMTU Discovery is initiated by the transport layer (this
possibility is mentioned in RFC1191), it might receive an early
congestion signal during the startup phase. That couldn't hurt,
could it?

Of course, this would require special implementation in the
stack ... we would need to "give" this to TCP without disturbing the
RTT estimation. Probably not worth the effort...

Regards,
Michael