[e2e] A Framework for Window-based Congestion Control

A.L.Narasimha Reddy reddy at dogmatix.tamu.edu
Tue Apr 23 11:47:09 PDT 2002

We have taken a slightly different approach to this problem.
Our results are available on the web at

http://dropzone.tamu.edu/techpubs/2001/sumitha.pdf  -- a longer/thesis version

and at http://ee.tamu.edu/~reddy/sumitha.pdf -- shorter paper version.

The abstract of the work:

In this paper, we propose a new class of protocols called the ``Delayed
Congestion Response Protocols'' where response to congestion in the network
is deliberately delayed for some time interval, allowing applications to
make necessary adjustments for impending loss in bandwidth.
We provide the general framework for this class of protocols and examine
three cases in particular. For these three cases we develop the analytical
models and derive the conditions under which they can be
fair to TCP. We confirm the analysis through ns-2 based simulations. By
showing that delayed congestion response is possible, we lay the ground work
for the development of a new class of transport protocols which are capable
of providing early warning to the application regarding an impending
reduction in the sending rate. In addition, these protocols can be designed
to have a smooth congestion response for multimedia applications.