[e2e] Address Space Distribution

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Tue Dec 10 14:52:48 PST 2002

> 2. In their slides, the generated address structure
>    using multifractal does not resemble the real
>    address structure. However they claimed that
>    they manage to capture the essential properties
>    of the address structure. It seems to me that the
>    density of the address aggregate is quite
>    selective. The concentration is higher from
>    128.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 and especially
>    in the region between 128.0.0.0 ~ 176.0.0.0.
>    Any comments?

Is there a relationship between allocation strategy, and visible density in
flows?

low numbered nets are the former A class /8 space, and will tend to be early
adopters who have truly vast acreage of address space, and little or no
incentive to occupy it densely. they will be typically singly homed, or
multiply homed but at a single, or geographically close small set of
locations. (eg, a campus, or set of campii. Or, a national defency agency with
a single gateway to the outside world)

If the analysis drilled into the nets now allocated under RIR processes they
might find the density better reflected the higher spaces.

128/8 and up to 176 includes former B /16 space and current allocation under
RIR processes. In both cases, there is either a size-limited force to denser
use, or a policy requirement to achieve 80% utilization before extra resource
is available.

above 176, gets you to the 'swamp' of former C /24 space, which has many small
disaggregated entities. But if you get back above 200, its back in space being
allocated under denser policy constraints.