[e2e] the evolution of deployability

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Dec 20 12:29:53 PST 2002

At 11:43 AM 12/20/2002 -0800, Fred L. Templin wrote:
>David,
>
>David P. Reed wrote:
>>Can Nokia, for example, do it?   Only if they are willing to bet heavily
>>against 3G, I think.
>
>At the risk of opening Pandora's box, can you explain in more detail your
>statement regarding 3G? (e.g., If one were to be *against* 3G, they would
>likely bet *on* something else. What might that something else be?)

I'm thinking a scalable, interoperable network architecture based on
user-purchased (enterprise and small business) cognitive radio equipment
that dynamically configures and adapts.   A "internetworking architecture"
for mobile devices that incorporates incremental evolution.

This "bet" involves a commitment to an R&D process, rather than a fixed
systems technology like 3G that is operator-focused.