[e2e] using p2p overlays to overcome recursive NATs/realms

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 8 06:09:16 PST 2002

In message <Pine.SOL.4.43.0202081232310.4609-100000 at phaestos.ee.surrey.ac.uk>, Lloyd Wood typed:

 >>the same basic principle that NAT ALGs use to handle the infernal
 >>layer-breaking assumptions of various protocols. And look how well
 >>that worked... better to be simple and compelling than fight
 >>complexity with added complexity.

of course, the IETF hashad a very effective working group dealing with the global
multi-nat-hop problem for some time - its clear that we could use LDP to cope with the
problem, and the difficulutes of large packets getting fragmented threu nats due to soem
of them breaking MTU discovery are solved by setting the MTU down to 53 bytes...
Naturally A T M...

j.

p.s. the other neat thing that this buys us is an infrastructure for onion routing...