[e2e] using p2p overlays to overcome recursive NATs/realms

Christian Huitema huitema at windows.microsoft.com
Fri Feb 8 08:10:45 PST 2002

> if the p2p service thus built (we might call it an InterNAT) has
either
> dynamic DNS update, or
> uses ipv6 itself, then to provide global reachability is quite
simple...

Jon,

Obviously, to merge multiple realms, you need an overlay; that overlay
must provide a routing function; you can do the routing function either
using explicit paths, a la UUCP, or global addresses and computed
routing tables, just like IP. That is exactly what IP was designed for
initially, e.g. merge an Ethernet realm and a packet radio realm. Do
people still say Catenet? Now, how is that different from the
combination of Shipworm/Teredo, 6to4 and other IPv6 transition tools?

-- Christian Huitema