[e2e] using p2p overlays to overcome recursive NATs/realms

J. Noel Chiappa jnc at ginger.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Feb 11 13:05:10 PST 2002

    > From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed at reed.com>

    > there *is* constant pushback against better tools from engineering
    > folks who seem to think that their operator customers and employers
    > won't buy into better, more flexible tools at any price, and prefer
    > to follow the "evil" strategies like .. blocking ports, restricting
    > "servers", etc.

I'm confused here; in what way are "better tools" (tools to do what?)
going to stop ISP's from blocking ports and/or restricting servers?

My impression is that although there are a number of reasons for such
actions (e.g. security - apparently Code Red broke into a number of home
machines on which the witless owners were running HTTP servers without
realizing it), that one major reason they are doing that is to
differentiate levels of service, so they can charge more ("commercial"
service, some call it) for allowing their customers the privilege (sic) of
doing such things.

In other words, there are unlikely to be tools that will stop them from
doing this, since it's something they want to do (and have to go out of
their way to do). So how are better tools going to improve on that (from
the point of view of the consumers).

	Noel