[e2e] using p2p overlays to overcome recursive NATs/realms

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Feb 11 13:40:32 PST 2002

Better security tools might be end-to-end encryption and
authentication.  ISPs can enable their customers to protect themselves
against code Red etc. by encouraging same, and encouraging (e.g. Microsoft
and Sun) to ship systems that properly authenticate.  Those tools are
better than port blockers which get in the way and don't really stop such
things, because they give users control.

Better tools for provisioning lots of devices in the home would include
providing multiple routable addresses in the DOCSIS modem standard, along
with IPv6 to reduce the ARIN limitations.