[e2e] Mapping IP Addresses to Geographic Location

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.rhyolite.com
Tue Feb 26 20:04:27 PST 2002

> From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar  (UMKC-Student)" <saq66 at umkc.edu>
> To: "Shane Cruz" <shanec at media.mit.edu>, <end2end-interest at postel.org>

>    I am really curious on what exactly you do with this data and
> how different is your work from all the previous works on the same
> line.I find that your site doesnt give those details.

That's an important reaction.

When I saw a reference to Mr. Cruz's efforts, I checked his web page.
My unconsidered reaction was a silly, paranoid "no way am I telling
you anything."  That reaction was silly because a quick check of my
browser's IP address with ARIN or a reverse DNS lookup and whois check
would tell Mr. Cruz what his page asks and a lot more.  However, my
reaction points out a flaw with the never ending stream of IP address
location projects that I don't recall seeing mentioned.

People usually point out that such projects can never hope to be reliable
because there will always be IP tunnels, PPP over long distance phone
calls (e.g. 2B ISDN is not all that slow), large corporate networks,
dynamic IP address assignment in large metro. cable networks, consumer
grade DSL, and even Mobile-IP.  Those are all major problems, but I wonder
they are are unconsciously offered as a smoke screen for the real fatal
flaw.  Many people consider their geographical locations very private
information.  They'll often blab to half plausible "net commerce" web
pages their credit card numbers, social security numbers, dates of birth,
and financial status before they'll say "I'm sitting at 101 Main St."

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com