[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sun Jun 16 08:07:34 PDT 2002

At 11:11 PM 6/16/2002 +1000, grenville armitage wrote:
Middleboxes make new service deployment an invisible,
>and therefore rather tolerable, process for the average
>user (for various definitions of 'user').

Exactly what new "service" are we talking about here - blocking users from
doing what they could do before the middlebox was installed?   Preventing
new applications from being purchased by users because they aren't
compatible with the middleboxes being deployed (e.g. multiuser games that
don't work over NAT boxes because they use UDP)?

Maybe, just maybe, the kinds of "service" being deployed are not valued by
users enough to upgrade their systems to use them.  This is a "market"
solution?   Seems like a tyrannical solution to me.