[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

Panos GEVROS P.Gevros at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 17 10:20:17 PDT 2002

Vernon Schryver typed :
 |> From: Panos GEVROS <P.Gevros at cs.ucl.ac.uk>

 |> never suggested breaching user privacy, imposing control on the content,
 |> censorship, restricting freedom of speech or anything of this sort  ..
 |> how one ensures that the bad things above do not happen in practice is
 |> engineering as indeed were my concerns. whether this happens in practice -o
 |> in other words where one draws that line of control is politics.
 |
 |On the contrary, you did suggest those things, because those things
 |are inevitable with control.  It is better to be honest about the

this can only be a personal interpretation and moreover that about the
"inevitable" consequences of control sounds like a new dogma. I tend to see it
more as a technical challenge than anything else - i.e make it  possible for a
provider to exercise different levels of control (including no control at all
- depending on contract) on a client's protocol stack  while easing
considerations about breaching privacy etc

Panos