[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

Jonathan M. Smith jms at central.cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 17 10:57:03 PDT 2002

> In message <200206171533.g5HFX8mo010370 at central.cis.upenn.edu>, "Jonathan M. Sm
> ith" writes:
>
> >Well I didn't say that no one would invest in a commodity business - it's
> >clear that's not true. But here is the more relevant question - will innovatio
>  >n
> >occur as quickly without big enough profits to sustain risks?
>
> Who says big profits equal innovation?

Not me - see above. But good question nonetheless. I would argue
(peeking at the point made below) that the model for risk/reward
has simply changed. Cisco paid for R&D indirectly, by buying
small companies, where the founders did applied R&D with some help
from VCs, and then did some profit-taking via the
acquisition! :-) But I think this supports my point rather than
detracting from it.

								-JMS