[e2e] TCP, retransmissions, and ISPs with byte caps

grenville armitage gja at ureach.com
Tue Jun 18 00:41:06 PDT 2002

Sean Doran wrote:
	[..]
> Shouldn't the onus be on the sender of traffic to police
> what is being sent, in the face of usage caps of any kind?

A reasonable argument could be made, yes. I was thinking
of cases where a weekly or monthly byte-count cap exists,
and packet losses in the ISPs own network causes the
enduser's TCP to generate repeat packets which are then
counted against the monthly cap. Struck me as an
interesting question for my students, but wanted to
see if it had been done before.

cheers.
gja

--