[e2e] TCP, retransmissions, and ISPs with byte caps

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Jun 18 08:32:07 PDT 2002

At 12:40 AM 6/19/2002 +1000, grenville armitage wrote:

>David P. Reed wrote:
>         [..]
> > Note that packet losses also cause the TCP to send more slowly, which
> > reduces the cost to the user in either case:
>
>I wonder how true that would be for the "think, think, point,
>click, <generate burst of TCP traffic>, repeat" crowd?
>
>The slow down due to retransmissions is probably swamped
>by the duration of each "think, think" phase, consequently
>I suspect there'd be little noticable reduction in
>the user's attempted consumption of network content.

The user does have to wait for a response before the "repeat", and that
response gets pretty long when retransmissions are interfering with
slowstart on that flurry of new TCP connections.  I'd be interested in
experimental results, but it seems that the "HTTP lusers" observe a very
nonlinear impact on response time as a function of packet drop
rate.  (compared with those who spend most time sitting in front of big
FTP's with stopwatches doing performance measurements like us real network
users ;-) ).