[e2e] Policing TCP flows

Vinay Bannai Vinay at luminous.com
Tue Jun 18 12:14:41 PDT 2002

Reuven,

You bring very interesting issues to light. At least in the cases where I
have had to deal with rate limiting with or without shaping buffers, I found
the TCP performance was nowhere close to the rate that was set on the port
when there was no shaping done. Here are salient points from my experience

1) If you do not have shaping buffers, single flow TCP performance varies
wildly when you try to pump data at the rate that is set
2) If you have longer RTT, the variation is little less but there is still
some variation
3) Multiple TCP flows helps to achieve data rate close to the rate limit
that is set
4) Increasing burst size (not the shaping buffer size) for the policer also
tends to achieve data rate close to the rate limit, when the rate is set to
a high value. At a lower rate, increasing burst size causes variations.
5) In other words, having a shaping buffer for the policer help prevent
dropped packets (they may be delayed a little) and help get much better TCP
performance

Thanks
Vinay