[e2e] Policing TCP flows

Reuven Zeitak reuven.zeitak at nativenetworks.com
Thu Jun 20 03:17:11 PDT 2002

do you really mean that goodput==throughput?
The rest of your message seems to imply that policing
gives less goodput.

>>if you look at plots from traces, what you see is that with
>>policing, the RTT
>>is very low, so the "probe-until-drop" cycle is very short,
>>so you get lots of
>>these cycles in the same elapsed time.  with shaping, the RTT is
>>(artificially) high, so the "probe-until-drop" cycle is very
>>long and you get
>>fewer of these cycles in the same elapsed time.  since the
>>amount of data
>>transmitted is the same (in this "same elapsed time"), with
>>policing you drop
>>lots more packets.

Where can I find examples of such traces ( besides generating them myself)?

>>if you hate dropped packets, you'll hate policing.
>>
>>(this is all without ECN; i'm not sure how it would change
>>with ECN, maybe for
>>the better.  this might be the killer app for ECN!)

I guess the issue is whether TCP can self clock itself
just by fast retransmit and time outs.

Has any work been done on a tcp that works by changing
the time between packets, instead of changing the number of
packets in a window? I suppose that technically it is much easier
to "send n packets" than to "wait x millsec until next send".

>>cheers, Greg Minshall

Thanks,

Reuven Zeitak