[e2e] [ippm] [Fwd: State of MPLS deployments today]

Robert Raszuk raszuk at cisco.com
Thu Oct 3 03:23:31 PDT 2002

Kava,

> first of all I should mention that MPLS deployment is far from being done (I
> don't think that it has been deployed even in a large network operator) and
> I largely suspect that it will never be deployed in a large scale to be the
> primary backbone technology !!!!

Would you mind sharing with me your definition of "large network
operator" ? For me operators like ATT, BT, DT, FT, TI, Level3, Worldcom,
JT, KDDI and many many more are of the size I would considered as
"large" on this planet.

All of them are using MPLS and MPLS applications in their backbones.

Only a very few IP purists who get high blood pressure when one next to
them says MPLS don't use it and that is also absolutely fine.

Just one more comment:

MPLS was never intended to boost network performance but to offer a new
paradigm for various applications which benefit from not pure
traditional dst based lookup at each hop. Sure IP can emulate it as well
with tunnels, but it is obvious that in this case, when talking about
production deployements IP is catching up with applications already
offered by MPLS today in a scalable way.

Rgs,
R.