[e2e] [Fwd: State of MPLS deployments today]

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Thu Oct 3 09:40:55 PDT 2002

On Thursday, Oct 3, 2002, at 06:23 America/Montreal, Robert Raszuk
wrote:
>> first of all I should mention that MPLS deployment is far from being
>> done (I
>> don't think that it has been deployed even in a large network
>> operator) and
>> I largely suspect that it will never be deployed in a large scale to
>> be the
>> primary backbone technology !!!!
>
> Would you mind sharing with me your definition of "large network
> operator" ? For me operators like ATT, BT, DT, FT, TI, Level3,
> Worldcom,
> JT, KDDI and many many more are of the size I would considered as
> "large" on this planet.
>
> All of them are using MPLS and MPLS applications in their backbones.

	Using some tiny amount of MPLS for traffic engineering is probably
common today.

	However, using MPLS label switching in the large scale is uncommon
even today
in most of those operators that you mention above.  And several of
those operators
you cite are aggressively opposed to large scale MPLS deployments due to
operational considerations (i.e. they report it is too hard to debug
operational
problems in a large scale MPLS deployment).

	(Nota bene: I've deliberately trimmed the set of parties copied on
this reply.)

Ran
rja at extremenetworks.com
speaking for myself only