[ippm] [e2e] Mathematical analysis of e2e lable switching path

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Thu Oct 3 16:16:12 PDT 2002

On Thursday, Oct 3, 2002, at 14:50 America/Montreal, Ayyasamy,
Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student) wrote:
>   My thought is, even for traffic engineering MPLS is not
> necessary. The benefits you get from constrained routing
> can easily be achived by means of some OMP in OSPF. Researchers
> have achived the same Traffic engineering objective by optimizing
> OSPF weights in  backbone network.

	Some operational IP networks have successfully used OSPF weights
for traffic engineering in a large backbone; so this claim is more than
just research.  This approach requires a backbone eng staff with
more than the usual amount of clue about OSPF and usually seems
to require at least one person with clue about statistics.  In
each case that I'm personally familiar with, S-Plus (or R) was an
important part of the analysis tool set.  It can work quite well.
The networks I'm familiar with considered this ability to tune their
OSPF deployment to be a major competitive advantage.

Ran