[e2e] some left-field ideas

Anindya Basu basu at research.bell-labs.com
Mon Oct 7 09:23:53 PDT 2002

Jon,

We actually have done some work based on field theory and network
control. More specifically, we have designed and implemented (in ns)
potential based routing algorithms (using scalar field theory) that are
sensitive to heavily congested links. Our simulations are encouraging --
they show significantly low latencies and jitter numbers and almost no
packet losses when compared to the standard shortest path routing. We
are in the process of writing up our results as a paper.

If you would like to talk more, we can take this off the list.

-Anindya Basu
 Sharad Ramanathan
 Bell Labs

P.S. We are now looking at extending these techniques to wireless
networks.