[e2e] how to control the traffic rate below a defined value at the network node????

Neil Spring nspring at cs.washington.edu
Thu Oct 10 01:28:54 PDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 02:10:33PM -0500, John Kristoff wrote:
> In addition to what Greg just mentioned, boxes like the Packeteer can
> also alter the TCP window advertisement sizes as segments flow through
> the network.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/search-bool.html
 (and enter Packeteer as an Assignee Name)

The relevant patent seems to be #6,205,120: Method for
transparently determining and setting an optimal minimum
required TCP window size.

I don't understand how calculating the bandwidth delay
product and sticking it in a packet header counts as
patent-able, but I hear that sort of surprise is common.  I
certainly don't understand how it applies to UDP as
described in the patent claim.

> boxes like the Packeteer can

Do you know of other boxes that do the same thing? perhaps
some that were built before 1998? ;)

-neil
(I wrote an infocom 2000 paper on a similar scheme using the
advertised window to throttle long downloads over a modem when
competing with interactive traffic)