[e2e] how to control the traffic rate below a defined value at the network node????

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Thu Oct 10 13:39:49 PDT 2002

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 01:28:54 -0700
Neil Spring <nspring at cs.washington.edu> wrote:
> Do you know of other boxes that do the same thing? perhaps
> some that were built before 1998? ;)

Allot <http://www.allot.com> also makes a comparable product.  I don't
know these systems in detail, because I don't use them.  There are
probably others, but Allot and Packeteer and the two most popular that
I'm aware of.

On a side note, these boxes are increasingly popular in educational
environments.  We've been (successfully so far) keeping them out of our
environment in the name of higher design ideals such as maintaining  the
e2e principle and network simplicity.  Its mostly paid off, but we
continue to fight for ways to avoid saturation at our border.  We try to
continuously get more capacity and educate users, but its very difficult
to stay ahead of the game for very long .  People talk about a bandwidth
glut, but I can't see it from where I'm sitting.

John