[e2e] Number of persistent connections per HTTP server?

Venkat Padmanabhan padmanab at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 10 11:29:45 PDT 2002

I believe the reason the recommended number of persistent connections
per client was set to 2 rather than 1 was to prevent head-of-line
blocking. With a single connection (and in the absence of byte-range
requests), the transfer of a large object could block subsequent
requests for a significant length of time. With two connections, one can
confine the large transfers to one connection, keeping the other one
clear for short transfers. This is analogous to why a two-lane road is
far better than a single-lane one.

-Venkat

Venkat Padmanabhan
Microsoft Research