[e2e] Mixed ECN and Non-ECN traffic flows.

Saad Biaz sbiaz at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Oct 11 13:54:24 PDT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Vadim Antonov wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Christian Huitema wrote:
>
> > This looks like a good thing to me. After all, we need some incentive
> > for people to deploy ECN... As long as the ECN capable flows do not tend
> > to actually exclude the non ECN flows, I believe that we are fine.
>
> This is a kind of strange incentive - the end-points can get to even
> better performance (in a network dominated by TCP) by being agressive and
> ignoring congestion control whatsoever.

This is what many believed: "if I ignore congestion, I get better
performance.... This is not true". When you ignore congestion control, you
will hurt also yourself. Why do you think many applications initially
based on UDP (without congestion control) finally added congestion
control... Do the following experiment: deactivate congestion control from
your TCP (comment out instructions that reduce cwnd ), and enjoy the
"better" performance.

Saad Biaz, Ph.D., Assistant Prof.     Voice: (334) 844 6307
114 Dunstan Hall Auburn University    Fax  : (334) 844 6329
Auburn, AL 36849-5347, USA            http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~sbiaz