[e2e] IP options inserted in transit

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Aug 7 09:16:21 PDT 2003

I presume to speak for no one but myself, but the "end to end" content of
the IP datagram is the data, its length, and the extended header (source
and destination addresses).  The options and other fields are not
guaranteed to be preserved end-to-end, and shouldn't be expected to remain
the same.

So your proposed idea is consonant with the "spirit" of the IP layer design.

I do recall a historical argument that encouraged the design where the
source created space in the datagram for intermediate processing, because
it saved copying and so forth in the intermediate gateways, reducing the
performance hit and decreasing the link-level reliability.   It may well be
that lots of gateways are unprepared to be able to insert or delete options
in their packet processing, so I'd argue that it is a bad idea to propose
such a thing as a general, good idea.