[e2e] IP options inserted in transit

Shivkumar Kalyanaraman shivkuma at ecse.rpi.edu
Thu Aug 7 09:02:23 PDT 2003

Craig,

We have a paper in FDNA this time on explicit routing where we have
intermediate routers insert a hash or process/swap it. In our
implementations we leveraged the fact that the RFCs do not forbid this
function. I think this kind of flexibility is important for evolutionary
extensions to IP.

Here is the paper if you are interested:

Hema Tahilramani Kaur, Shiv Kalyanaraman, Andreas Weiss, Shifalika Kanwar,
Ayesha Gandhi, ``BANANAS: An Evolutionary Framework for Explicit and
Multipath Routing in the Internet,'' TO appear in SIGCOMM FDNA
Workshop, 2003.
http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma/research/papers-rpi.html#mgmt

best
-Shiv
===
Shivkumar Kalyanaraman
Associate Professor, Dept of ECSE, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
110, 8th Street, Room JEC 6003, Troy NY 12180-3590
Ph: 518 276 8979   Fax: 518 276 4403
WWW: http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma