[e2e] Reordering in routers

abhijit abhijit at engr.colostate.edu
Fri Aug 8 14:45:05 PDT 2003

Hi all,
I am studying the packet-reordering problem over the Internet from the point
of view of the routers being a reason of reordering.

In the paper by "Packet Reordering is Not Pathological Network Behavior" by
Bennet, Partridge, and Shectman, the router queuing structure was said to be
the reason behind the reordering observed at MAE-east. The DEC gigaswitch used
at MAE-east point used hunt groups i.e. collection of ports together acting as
input ports that caused the packets getting distributed and hence reordered.

I am studying queuing architectures and queuing disciplines of present
routers. But I do not find any routers with parallel input queuing sothat
incoming packets are distributed over a number of queues before getting
processed. It will be great if anybody can give me information or pointers
over this problem, especially:
1. Are the internal structure issues i.e. queuing architectures (input, output
queues, VOQ, VIQ etc), disciplines (packet scheduling or buffer management
schemes) responsible or can be responsible for reordering?
2. Or the external reasons such as route flapping, multi-path routing,
parallel links between two routers, etc. are more responsible for reordering
happening in the present Internet?

I appreciate any information shared on this problem.
Regards,
Abhijit